Saturday, October 3, 2015

Review: Paper Hearts (Hearts, #2) by Claire Contreras

5 stars! *****

Author: Claire Contreras

Title: Paper Hearts (Hearts, #2)

I lost her.

No, I didn't lose her. I threw her away.

She was my best friend.

I was never supposed to fall in love with her.

I was careless.

She was heartbroken.

I was doing fine until she came back into my life and reminded me what love was supposed to feel like.

When it's all said and done, she may not want to stay, but this time I'm going to do everything in my power to not let her go.






"Real love stories never end."
Yep. This is it. This is what a good.. No, a great book looks like.

After reading the blurb I hoped that this book would be amazing and after reading TORN HEARTS I was 99% convinced. I'm glad that it was just as amazing as I thought it'd be and that it didn't prove me wrong.

Mia's and Jensen's story begun a long time ago when they were still teenagers and they've known each other since they were kids. They've been there for each other, supported each other and loved each other. But then Jensen decided to go to college in NY and they took break. Which both of them grasped it.

Jensen got a girl pregnant and deciced that the right thing to do is to break it up with Mia completely and marry his baby mama. Mia felt heartbroken, angry, hurt and betrayed. I agree with her. I'd have probably hit his "jewels" and she dealt with him differently. She ignored him for the next five years.

Now Mia is NY for work in the same magazine as Jensen. Not only that Jensen is still in love with her, he writes about her in his articles and lots of his characters are named Mia. Coincidence? Not.

He's not going to let her run away and ignore him again. He's finally ready to fight for her.

"She'd build a home in his heart, and he couldm't rid himself of any of the things she's left behind. He wanted to go after her, beg her to stay with him, for him, but he was scared. He didn't let her go bacause he loved her too much to ask her to stay, but because he couldn't bear to hear her say that she wouldn't."

But Mia's heart is not ready yet. Her heart was crumbled and she carefully put it back together. Jensen might break it all over again.

"Fuck real love. Real love didn't hurt you the way ours had. Wasn't staying together through thick and thin a requirement for real love?"

PAPER HEARTS was a breathtakingly beautiful second-chance novel. It was incredibly well written. It kept me on my toes the whole time. It was filled with emotions - angst, sadness, love, hurt, happiness, hope, thrill, fear.

"I'd rather live my life in flames than be numb without her."

Both characters grown so much between TORN HEARTS and PAPER HEARTS. They both matured and got much braver. Jensen now wore his heart not on his sleeve but on paper, in his novels and articles. And Mia finally admitted to herself what really lies inside her heart and let go of her anger.

What I also liked was the way it was written. There wasn't the classical either single, one POV narrator or the double POV. It was mostly told by Mia and was interspace with "Jensen talks", which were basically his articles (more like a manly diary entries). I loved those.

I think that a lot of people can empathize with both Mia and Jensen because the theme of the book is something that can happen to everyone. And everyone wants the ending that they've got (me included).


No comments:

Post a Comment