Sunday, January 3, 2016

Review: Tears of Tess (Monsters in the Dark, #1) by Pepper Winters

3 stars! ***


Author: Pepper Winters

Title: Tears of Tess (Monsters in the Dark, #1)

“My life was complete. Happy, content, everything neat and perfect.
Then it all changed.
I was sold.”
Tess Snow has everything she ever wanted: one more semester before a career in property development, a loving boyfriend, and a future dazzling bright with possibility.

For their two year anniversary, Brax surprises Tess with a romantic trip to Mexico. Sandy beaches, delicious cocktails, and soul-connecting sex set the mood for a wonderful holiday. With a full heart, and looking forward to a passion filled week, Tess is on top of the world.

But lusty paradise is shattered.

Kidnapped. Drugged. Stolen. Tess is forced into a world full of darkness and terror.

Captive and alone with no savior, no lover, no faith, no future, Tess evolves from terrified girl to fierce fighter. But no matter her strength, it can’t save her from the horror of being sold.

Can Brax find Tess before she’s broken and ruined, or will Tess’s new owner change her life forever?



What are my thoughts on Tears of Tess? I don't know. I'm confused. Do I like the book? Was I disturbed by the book? How should I rate something that I have two different opinions about and neither of those prevails. That's why I chose three stars. Because it's in the middle.

It was a very controversial book. There was kidnapping, rape, master x slave relationship, pleasure in pain, masochism, murders.. But in a weird way it was about freeing yourself. From the social bounds, from bounds your own mind created and just living to the fullest while doing that makes you happy. Even thought the thing that makes you happy is being whipped.

After readind the first 70 pages I wanted to just close it, delete it from my notebook and never think about it again. But I'm too damn curious and I needed to know how it ended and I finished it.

There were moments that I loved and moments that made me want to run screaming bloody murder. I'm not really fun of the whole whipping, choking thing and this is full of those.

I was having a really hard time getting over the instant attraction Tess felt to Q. She was kidnapped in Mexico, the last time she saw her boyfriend he was lying unconciouss and when she was brought as a bribe to Q she gets wet immediately? That's not how you react to someone who you don't know a thing about. He might have been as bad as those who did kidnapp her.

What I had a big problem with was SPOILER:
that Tess was raped by the bad guys and than G solution to that was sleeping with her. Really?

And there were several other things I had issue with. I'm not going to go into them, but if you read the book I'm sure that the same thing will catch your attention.

This was a dark tale with. If you like the whole master x slave thing and you imagine that it's always like in Fifty Shades of Gray, then you'd be wrong. FSOG are vanilla in comparism to TOT.

If you are looking for a great love story with confessions of undying love, this is not for you. This is for those who aren't afraid of reading something that is unconventional, describes the sinister and often forbidden wants one may have, this might be for you.

Or it might scar you for life.

I'm still not sure whether this book is for me or not :D.
Guess I'll have to find out in Quintessentially Q.

No comments:

Post a Comment